Saturday 17 January 2009

Neighbours everywhere


A couple of years ago we were studying James in Home Groups and I joked that I never seemed to come across people who needed my help - it seemed to me that I had very few neighbours.

Funnily enough, I found myself lying in my bed that night, not sleeping, but thinking about the neighbours that I had not seen in trouble and so had not helped. I resolved then and there to always stop if I thought someone needed help - after all, if I was wrong they would just send me on my way.

Since then I have given first aid to a car driver who had spun going up Dashwood hill and hit the roadside barrier; I helped someone break into their own home when they locked themselves out; I brought a flask of tea to a man who had broken down in sub-zero temperatures ; I gave lifts home on two seperate occasions to people whose buses didn't turn up; I scraped the ice off a car belonging to a young mum in the village; I sat with an older lady who felt feint whilst shopping as we waited for an Ambulance; and last week I pushed an Audi off the road after two cars had an accident on the M40 sliproad.

And do you know what strikes me? I wonder how many other people I have passed by without noticing? What I have noticed over the last two years is that there are neighbours everywhere - all we need are the eyes to see them and the hearts to help them.

No comments: