Wednesday 10 December 2008

Glue and glitter

I wonder what your first thought was when you noticed it was frosty outside?

I hope the pavements aren't too slippery? Will I have to de-ice the car?

I'm guessing that these, and other thoughts will have passed through our minds as we peered through the curtains at the frost laying on the grass, roads and pavement, but I wonder how many of us were excited to see it?

As we walked to School - well I walked and the girls skipped - as we walked to school this morning the girls explained to me that the frost is actually God playing with glue and glitter, and the reason it is slippery is because the glue hasn't dried yet! How wonderful to be able to see God's hand at work in the mundane, and how delightful to see in this work something of his playful and generous character!

Their enjoyment of the frost left me thinking, why can't I see the world like this?

Jesus said in Mark 10, "Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in" (The Message). He meant, of course, that sense of dependent faith that children embrace as part of being nurtured and growing up, but surely also it has to do with how we see God at work in his world? I know that my children think their Dad can do anything (they are only 6 and 4) and they marvel at the simplest things I do that they can't. Isn't this the simplicity of a child?

So, the next time you scrape the ice of your car in the morning, or tip-toe along the pavement, try to see it at God's glue and glitter, and marvel at the simplest things that God can do but we can't.

No comments: